2012 Tax Time: Don’t Forget Your 1098-E Tax Form

UPDATE: For the most up-to-date information on getting your 1098-E, visit www.ed.gov/1098-E.

It’s tax time once again, and if you made federal student loan payments in 2012, you may be eligible to deduct a portion of the interest you paid on your 2012 federal tax return. Student loan interest payments are reported on IRS Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement.

1040_Form_Computer_MonitorYour student loan servicer (the entity you make payments to) will provide you a copy of your 1098-E if the interest you paid in 2012 exceeded $600. Your servicer may send you your 1098-E via U.S. Postal Service or electronically. Check with your servicer if you haven’t yet received your 1098-E for 2012. If you had multiple loan servicers in 2012, you will receive a separate 1098-E from each servicer.

If you’re not sure who your loan servicer is, you can look it up at www.nslds.ed.gov or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY 1-800-730-8913). To see a list of Federal Student Aid servicers for the Direct Loan Program and for FFEL Program Loans purchased by the U.S. Department of Education, go to our Loan Servicer page.

For more information about student loan interest deduction, visit the IRS’s Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center.


  1. I e-filed my taxes without including the 1098e. Will this make a big difference? How do I fix it?? thank you!

  2. I have received my 1098-T form electronically. I was wondering if i print this out can i use the printed out copy when filing my taxes?

  3. I made a payment of $2000 on 12/28; it shows up gone from my bank account on 12/31; yet I received no 1098.

  4. I received my 1098-E form from Direct Loan Servicing for 2012. The amount that it claims that I paid in interest is $1500+ more than what I added up my interest to have been paid (they state $2900+ and I calculate $1300+). I have spoken to the DLS customer service line three times today gwaiting fifteen minutes each time to get through on the line) with the collective result of, “don’t worry about it, I’m sure it’s correct because the government reported that amount to us”. When pressed for further information, I was told to ask my tax person how to handle the discrepancy. My tax rep said that whomever I had spoken to did not know what they were talking about and that I should call back and speak to someone else. I need to have this extra $1500 explained to me and have my 1098-E ammended but no one can tell me who to speak to in order to do this. My loan was transferred to GSM&R at the end of last year – I am wondering if other loan payers are experiencing a similar miscalculation on their 1098-E forms this year also?

    Beyond frustrated…

  5. I made a payment early in the day on Dec 31, 2012. I got a payment notification explicitly listing my “effective payment date” as Dec 31. Yet this payment was not listed on my 1098e, and the loan provider (federal student loans) says the payment was made too late to count in 2012, despite the fact the effective payment date is listed as being in 2012. Is there any way to get this payment counted in 2012? If not, what is even the meaning of “effective payment date” as clearly it can’t be the date at which the payment is considered as being made, since that would be 2012?

  6. I went to myed website to download a copy of my 1098e form, i can no longer log in. The website no longer recognize any of my information. The last quarter of 2012 my loan was bought out or transferred. I have not received my 1098 from u.s departmemt direct. I did get one from the new company. But i have paid more interest than stated. Why can’t i get into the website to download the statement, and why have I not receive it in the mail.

  7. Information re form 1098-E is FALSE. I had three loan servicers last year and only one of them provided me with a 1098-E and it does not show all interest paid. The other two sent me notices stating I didn’t need a 1098-E based on the interest I paid thru their company. But, when you add all interest together it exceeds $970!!! Will the US Dept of Education send me a 1098-E that shows ALL student loan interest paid for 2012?

  8. I too was looking for my 2012 1098-e tax document and spent the last two hours looking for it. Although this article was a nice “reminder” it would have been VERY helpful if they has posted the link and provided instructions on how to get your 1098-e form instead of the link to find out who services your student loans.

    For those of you who have a Direct Loans student loan and don’t want to wait until March to get your 1098-e snail mailed to you, you can access it on: http://www.myedaccount.com
    If you have never logged in, you will need to create an account. Once you log in, look at the list of links on the left hand side and click on TAX FORMS.

    Hope this helps!

    • Thank you so much for taking the time to leave instructions for the rest of us who would have spent hours searching for this info. MUCH appreciated!!

  9. I found my 2012 Tax 1098 @ http://www.myedaccount.com this is your dept of ed account and it has your 2012 tax form. It only has the info from when the dept of ed serviced your account, so if your loans got bought out in mid year, then this will have the first half you were missing.

    Sincerely someone who spent an hour with a completely non-helpful website to get 1 simple piece of paper. You’re welcome.

  10. Our son is a three quarter time student. He lives with us and we claim him as a dependent. He was able to get a loan by using our tax info from last year. What expenses can we claim on our taxes for his schooling (he attends an online school)?
    We do pay all of his living expenses, including cell, car insurance, etc.

    • I am trying to get my 1098-E for 2012. Can I print it off or do I have to wait for it to be mailed. Thank You

        • i am not geting a answer regarding my question:
          i am trying to get my student loan tax interest statement
          for 2012 can you help

          • Most Student Loan vendors will post the interest you paid on your loan on their website, within your loan account.
            My laon is w/ GreatLakes, and they posted on Jan. 14th.

    • Please contact your loan servicer. If you’re not sure who your loan servicer is, you can look it up at http://www.nslds.ed.gov or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY 1-800-730-8913).

  11. Can I still fill my taxes to get the money from my student loan even if I lost my job and I have not made any payments on m student loan?

    • If you are referring to the 1098-E: if you have not made any payments, you have also not paid any interest (it may have accrued, but you have not actually PAID any of it)… and thus could not deduct. This is the same concept as when you are in deferment (the government is paying your interest for you) – YOU have not paid anything, so you cannot deduct.

      I’m not a tax advisor, so consult your tax advisor if you have questions.

      • i made my last pymt 8-10-2012 you sent a letter
        saying i paid off loan
        why don’t you have this inform.

  12. Are you suppossed to recieve a 1098 from the collector of a defaulted student loan? I have never received any communication from them minus taking my money.

  13. Hello:

    I need to secure a copy of my tax statement on interest paid on my student loans for the 2011,2010, 2009 years as I did not realize I could deduct the interest paid on those loans until this year. My accountant told me I can only go back as far as 3 years. Please let me know how I can go about obtaining the statements previous years.


    • Sherry,

      You will need to contact your loan servicer. If you’re not sure who your loan servicer is, you can look it up at http://www.nslds.ed.gov or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY 1-800-730-8913).

  14. I made payments of $5,550 on my student loan in 2012. My status is in school, so I am not required to make payments. This loan was new as of 2012 and is serviced by Fed Loan Servicing. My accrued interest according to my online account is $267. When I click on tax information, it says “your account doesn’t have any information to display”. So since it is under $600, I will not be issued a 1098, can I still deduct the $267 on my 2012 taxes?

    • Hi John,

      Thanks for the question. You’ll want to check with your tax advisor for guidance that is specific to you.

      Cameron Brenchley
      Office of Communications and Outreach

    • if you have not made any payments towards your student loans then you have not paid any interest on them eithor. simply put you can only deduct what you have actually paid.

  15. I already e-filed through turbo tax, but realized that I forgot to claim a 1098-E form. I know I am most likely going to have to file for an amendment. However, I was curious as to whether or not this would cause me to owe, and how do I go about filing/fixing the forgotten 1098-E form issue?

    • Hi Angie,

      Your student loan servicer (the entity you make payments to) will provide you a copy of your 1098-E if the interest you paid in 2012 exceeded $600. Information on how to find your servicer is provided in the post above.

      Cameron Brenchley
      Office of Communications and Outreach

      • This is a very user unfriendly website. I am just trying to get a 1098 form from DOE for a parent plus loan for 2012 but there are no true clear-cut directions and I have yet to obtain this information. The links keep flipping back and forth to thus far useless bits and pieces. Only thing holding up my filing. I easily accessed that same information on the Nelnet home site where I have another parent plus loan. Why could this info not be posted along with other loan details given for each loan?

  16. My husband had a loan through US Dept of Education (direct Loan) and it was switched to Mohela. I was able to print off a letter showing the interest that was paid, however, that was only for the months that his loan was through them. Will I be expecting a form from US Department of Education (direct loans) for taxes?

  17. Like other commenters here, my federal loan was transferred to a loan servicer mid-year 2012 and the 1098-E that servicer provided only covers the payments I’ve made to that servicer. Prior to July, my loan was being serviced by the Department of Education. Will I be mailed a form to cover the payments made from January to June?

  18. I am not sure who my previous loan servicer was and my loan servicer was just transferred at the end of the 2012 year. How do I find my previous loan servicer so I can obtain my 1098?

    • @Esther – thanks for the question,

      You’ll probably want to check the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/. You can also call 1-800-4FED-AID and say “Loan” to get connected.

      Cameron Brenchley
      Office of Communications and Outreach

  19. I made payment to Dept. of Education for Student Loans before the switch to MOHELA. I have not recieved the statement from Dept of Ed. When will I recieve it that statement for tax porposes.

    • I spoke with the Dept of Ed last week and all the 1098-E forms should be mailed from their office by January 31st.

      • Thank you! I’m in the same boat. Have EVERYTHING to do my taxes… except the 1098-E from Direct Loans (my servicer before it was transferred to Edfinancial mid-year).

  20. Hi

    Earlier this year, I was switched over to mohela mid year.

    I just received an email from them telling me my tax info was ready. When I looked at it the letter it stated that I would not be getting a 1098-e because my payments were under $600 ($564 to be exact) but I may still be able to use this amount as a deduction. I also got a 1098-e from my original loan service showing me I paid $354 in interest. I dont have a tax advisor so I just need to know where to go for info.


  21. I am wondering if you send out the 2012 Tax 1098 in the mail or is there a way to print it off from your at home computer? Please send me this information. Thanks

Comments are closed.