@RuralED’s John White Answers Questions During #AskFAFSA Office Hours on Twitter

Did you know that completing and submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) increases the likelihood that a student will enroll in some form of post-secondary education?

Students in rural communities are least likely to enroll and complete postsecondary education and career training. In an effort to help rural youth and adults with the financial aid process, I hosted #AskFAFSA Office Hours live on Twitter last night. The audience definitely kept us busy! ED’s Rural Outreach Team and the FAFSA Team worked together to get the audience’s toughest financial aid questions answered.

We had some great questions come in on a variety of topics:

Completing the FAFSA


New IRS Data Retrieval Tool

Federal student loans


FAFSA deadlines


and more

It was great to be able to chat with everyone on Twitter. I hope to do it again soon!

If you haven’t already, I encourage you to get started on completing your FAFSA. It’s the form to fill out in order to apply for student grants, work-study, and loans. To receive federal student aid for the 2012-13 school year, you must complete the 2012-13 FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.  Some financial aid is first-come, first-served, so I encourage all potential and returning students to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible.

Remember: Four-year colleges and universities aren’t the only schools that accept the FAFSA. Community colleges, trade schools nursing schools, online schools, and career schools do too.  So check your FAFSA deadline and complete the FAFSA today: www.fafsa.gov

John White is Deputy Assistant Secretary for Rural Outreach


  1. Joyce, please contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). They may be able to help you.

  2. If we pay off our primary mortgage on our house with our Home Equity Line of Credit, will this count as our Mortgage on the FAFSA application?

    • Please contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). They can give you information that is specific to your question.

  3. I have been accused of having a bill with the Department of Education I have tried to resolve this problem, I have been trying to resolve this problem about ten years. Everytime I tried to get a pell grant it pops up saying that I owed for college courses I have never been to college. I have wrote the government and they didnt say I for colleges that I have attended. I been informed since I have made 65years old that they can go into to my social sercuity payments. They send bills stating that I owe 9,936,44 I just receive a letter today. I can’t get re-educated because need to go to school, with this debt I guess I will died oweing this bill. I don’t make enough monies from my check to pay anything but my rent. If someone help me please do.

Comments are closed.